Hands up anyone out there who is training for a marathon?
How's it going? Anyone running London Marathon on 22 April?
I loved running in my 30s. I have a lovely collection of medals for all my efforts. Plenty of London Marathon medals feature - some great memories.
I would class myself as an average runner but a winner every time I crossed that finish line - even if it was with a runner in a hippo costume!
If you are thinking of going long - do it!
Some handy hints :
- Follow a structured programme
- Find a training buddy if you need motivation/encouragement and company
- Don't increase your mileage more than 10% a week.
- Run just enough
- Take recovery weeks as well as recovery days - listen to that body
- Eat well - a good balanced diet
- Train smart - you don't have to train 7 days a week
- Do your long runs - this is a no brainer - get used to being on your feet for long periods of time
- At the first hint of niggle/injury - rest or crosstrain and get it seen to
- Taper for 2-3 weeks
If anyone would like some advice, feel free to get in contact : Vanessa@itgames.club
IT Games Club is supported by a growing number of global IT companies, and aims to bring sport and fitness to the forefront of the IT industry. Challenging and motivating the industry to get fitter and healthier. If you are a senior IT professional who would like motivation and free entry into events around the world, then join up today, membership is free (and always will be). As we grow we will be opening up membership to a wider audience in the industry and across more sports and pastimes. www.itgames.club